Monday, November 10, 2014

When Children Bring God's Conviction: Thankful Posts

Over the weekend, I dropped my blogging plate. In one way, this bothers me, since I'm in the midst of a series of posts about being thankful. Missing three days kind of put a snag in the "series."

But did it?

I spent those three days cleaning house and taking care of my family. Spending time with the kiddos and my husband. Resting.

If I consider eternity, missing three blog posts isn't really going to matter much. But missing the opportunity to pour into my children, snuggle with my husband, and to let each of them know how much I love them - enough to drop "work" for a few days and focus on them - will certainly make a difference.

Too often I get sucked into work mode. I'm a doer. A go-getter. It's very easy to sit my butt in a chair at my desk in the corner of my dining room (in the middle of the house) and find something to do online. Check e-mail. Check Facebook. Pin a few items to my Pinterest boards. Recheck Facebook. Retweet a few things.

Before I know it, I've spent the morning staring at a screen and ignoring my son's request to play Life. Or watch him skateboard. Or ...

And my son's quick to point out how much more I care about work than him.

Throughout the past 15 years, my kids have been quick to point out my presumptuous sins. Although their words prick my heart, I am thankful for them. Because they're true.

Sometimes I do neglect to spend quality time with my kids in order to check one more thing off my to-do list. Sometimes I wish for a solid week alone so I can work uninterrupted. But that wouldn't really make a difference, would it? My to-do list will keep growing as my time with my kids diminishes.

So for three days this weekend, I turned away from the computer screen and spent time with my children. Because I am thankful for the time that I have with them before they grow up and move out of my house and into their own adulthood.

So, today I am thankful for four wonderful beings who bring great joy into my life: Ezra. Caleb. Hannah. And Gideon. God has blessed me tremendously! My quiver is full.

Tweetables:

When Children Bring God's Conviction via @AlyciaMorales  #parenting #thanksgiving {Click to Tweet}

Do your kids point out your sins? Mine do... @AlyciaMorales #parenting #thankful {Click to Tweet}

If you are a parent, what is one aspect of parenting you're thankful for? If you aren't a parent, what's one thing you're thankful your parents taught you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation!