Tuesday, May 5, 2015

No One Else is Responsible for Your Unhappiness

by Alycia W. Morales
@AlyciaMorales

Life Lessons #3

Nobody likes the Debbie Downers in life. It's no fun when your kid wakes up on the wrong side of the bed and whines until you drop them off at school. Or you call your friend and all they do is complain about this or that, never letting you in on the conversation other than to ask for your pity.

Don't these people ever have a happy day?

Do they enjoy being down all the time?

Do they know there's a solution?
Sure, some people are clinically depressed. They're usually on medication to balance whatever hormone is out of whack and causing their inability to find joy in life.

And this is not the spiritual issue I’m talking about.

But I'm willing to bet that not everyone who is always miserable is that way because of that type of emotional illness.

I was depressed throughout most of high school and college. I was never on medication, but I decided it was time to seek counseling when I couldn't get out of bed to go to class. Thankfully, my professors graced me those days, and I was able to make up my work.

So why am I not that way anymore? Did I just wake up one morning and decide not to be down anymore? No.

I met Jesus. And when I realized just how much God really loves me, I found it impossible to stay unhappy. It didn't matter what others thought of me anymore. It didn't matter what circumstances I faced. It didn't matter if everyone else around me was in an Eyore kind of mood.

Because Jesus loves me. And I discovered this truth:

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith, the salvation of your souls (1 Peter 1:6-9).

Jesus is the source of my joy. Nothing else. No one else. Just Jesus.

Tweetables

What's the source of your joy? #LifeLessons via @AlyciaMorales {Click to Tweet}

No one else is responsible for your unhappiness. #LifeLessons {Click to Tweet}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation!