Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Like It or Not, Your Kids Are Just Like You

by Alycia W. Morales
@AlyciaMorales

Life Lessons #2

I used to stare at people in disbelief when they'd tell me my kids would be just like me ... only twice as bad. And when I became a Christian and heard about this thing called generational curses, I wondered ...

Could it possibly be true?

So I started praying. Lord, please make them twice as good, not twice as bad. Please give them a double portion of honesty, loyalty, and the desire to love deeply. Please skip the perfectionist tendencies, the moodiness, and the desire to be left alone most of the time. Don't give them those, Lord. Especially not in a double portion.
As I've watched them grow and develop, I've noticed the truth in the idea that our kids are just like us. Sometimes doubly. Or triply. (Is that even a word?)

And some days I stick out my chest like the proud mama. And other days I cringe at the trait being displayed, wishing I could hide in a hole and never come out for fear that I have failed four wonderful people.

But God ...

Thankfully, we are made in His image and likeness. And when we repent of our wicked ways, He is quick to replace them with love and kindness and gentleness and self-control and all those things He is. And we can hope that our children will grow to love Him and recognize that they, too, are created in His image.

Tweetables

Like it or not, your kids are just like you. #LifeLessons {Click to Tweet}

Thankfully my kids are created in God's image too, not just mine. {Click to Tweet}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation!