Saturday, April 11, 2015

Double Cross by DiAnn Mills - A Book Review

by, Alycia W. Morales  @AlyciaMorales

I'm all snuggled in with my coffee, Double Cross, and ... Hey! Who's that lurking in the background?
One of the things I love about DiAnn Mills' recent release, Double Cross, is that she talks about the value of life even when someone has aged and developed dementia. This topic hit home for me due to the recent loss of my father-in-law, who had dementia but wanted nothing to do with medical assistance or outside help. As his children, my husband, sister-in-law, and I didn't necessarily understand why he wouldn't let us help him, but we did understand his desire to pass in his own environment on his own terms. And we respected that.

In Double Cross, FBI agent Laurel Evertson has to work with a man who she put in jail years before. Morton Wilmington claims to have found faith in Jesus while incarcerated and says he has forgiven Laurel for sending him to prison. The question throughout the novel is whether or not Wilmington's faith is legit and whether or not he can be trusted. I won't give away the ending, but I will tell you it was one of the best I've ever read and extremely satisfying.
Meanwhile, Houston Police Officer Daniel Hilton is working hard to protect his grandparents from the enemy, who is scamming the elderly. Two of his grandparents' friends are already dead, and no one seems to think there has been foul play. Daniel works alongside Laurel and Wilmington to uncover who is behind the murders and the false policies.

The pace of this novel was a little slower than Firewall, but it was fitting considering the focus on the elderly and various characters' hesitancy to trust other characters. Don't quit reading. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Especially since every time you think you know something, DiAnn throws in a plot twist that takes you down another path and leaves you wondering whether or not you'll ever figure out who did it. Double Cross is a masterfully woven tale that will keep you turning pages until a very rewarding end.

Disclosure: I was given a copy of Double Cross to review. However, I never let that fact sway my review. And I would let you know if I didn't recommend reading it. In this case, I highly recommend you read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation!